Sunday, October 11, 2009

tubes - september 11, 2009

Our sweet little girl has been suffering from ear infections for the past year. They started out to be every couple of months. Then they started happening every month. And then it would take two rounds of antibiotics to clear the infection. I knew the conversation of tubes was coming. I was nervous. I typically hate anything that has to do with hospitals. I hate the thought of surgery even more. And on my sweet little girl... the thought was hard to bare. As I watched Kate suffer through her last ear infection I knew tubes was the right thing to do. Dr. A, Kate's Head and Neck Surgeon, also agreed that tubes would make a world of difference for our sweet little girl. And so tubes it was.
The day of Kate's surgery had to be one of the hardest days as a mom thus far.
As we waited to be greeted by the doctors, anesthesiologist, and nurses I did my best to stay calm and keep the tears at bay. As they took her away in the little red wagon I wanted to follow them down the hall and give my sweet little girl one last kiss.
I was nervous, I was scared, I was worried. (And, yes, I know this surgery has been done a million times. Yes, I know, there are little ones out there that go through much harder surgeries at a much younger age. I do know all of that but my heart would not hear any of it.)

As we walked back out to the waiting area we were reassured by the nurses that Kate's surgery would be over before we even had a chance to enjoy our cup of coffee.

To be honest I was skeptical but she was right.

Kate's number on the status board quickly moved from pre-op to the operation room to surgery.

I had just taken my first sip of coffee when a kind hospital volunteer approached us and let us know that Kate was out of surgery and in post-op.

With that message I felt like I could breathe again.

After meeting with Dr. A we were taken back to post-op to see our sweet little girl.
At first Kate was peacefully sleeping with George and her lovey at her side.
Then Kate started to wake up.
She was such a sad and confused little girl.
Thankfully some warm blankets, orange jello, applesauce, and lots of TLC calmed her down. And within a half hour we discharged and sent along our way. (I kept asking if they were sure it was okay for us to go. They assured me she was doing great and it was more than safe to take her home.)
By the time we got home Kate was back to her normal self.
And by the afternoon she was running through the house.
As hard as it was, I know it was the best thing for our sweet little Kate!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.